Sunday, 30 September 2012

Clements Ribeiro for Evans: Swan AW12 Reviewed

Photobucket

A couple of weeks ago, I went GAGA for the shots of Robyn Lawley ROCKING the latest from duo Clements Ribeiro for Evans. And, well - while I ain't no model - let's see how the clothes measure up on my heavy little frame!

Like the last Clements Ribeiro/Evans Collaboration, I LOVE the prints and heavy tailoring through the collection. Now certainly, the response to this latest offering for Evans hasn't been quite as anticipated as the last - but for me - this is a great second Collection, which offers a nice range of pieces for us Plus-Size girls. Length and necklines still play on my mind, but the dresses are bang on. Let's take a look... (all of these dresses I bought so I could try them at home - I kept TWO and returned TWO - GUESS WHICH ONES...).

Photobucket

Floral Print Wisteria 21 Dress: £75.00

This dress is LIGHT on the body, really lovely to touch and completely feminine. Honestly - when I got this through and saw it on the hangar - I had a little bit of a "Grandma Frock?" question mark go off in my head... Well I tell ya, that would be one BANGIN' Grandma.

This dress is amazing. My photos can't even start to capture the beauty of the textures and colours in this dress. On my form - it felt rich and decadent and just BEAUTIFUL really. The tailoring is nice and simple - giving me a great shape (this is a 22) - but also allowing for a lot of breathing space through my hip and bum. In fact - this fit me snug in the bust - but for any girls with a rounder belly than mine - this isn't JUST for a heavy hourglass figure - this is made - ready to accomodate a belly and booty. It is FAB.

The material is a satin-like texture but doesn't come off shiny and the lace neck and cuffs are just gorgeous touches. SUPER great. For girls who want to break this up - a belt would easily do the job - otherwise - the print and lace really does do it all. For me, this could be worn to work, or easily come for a night out with Darcy.

I want to emphasise this is a lovely, light fabric. Through Winter, this baby would need a pair of tights underneath and a lovely blazer or cropped jacket to boot - make sure people can see the lace collar though. Because that makes the dress POP.

Lace Grace Dress - £95.00

Photobucket

This is a pretty gorgeous little number and reminiscent of the Black Betty Dress in Broderie Anglaise from the last Collection. Unlike the Betty Dress from last time, this isn't quite as tightly tailored and if I'm honest about how I like my fit - I found this 22 looks good but feels big around my waist and hip. But the dress itself? Well!

The top is a sheer layer of spotted lurex which sits over a pretty, "nude" lining. I found the sheer fabric really gentle on my skin but the spots a little scratchy. The skirt, like the sheer top, is deliciously lined and the skirt is a nice "lace" style of fabric. I like the heavy, waist defining fabric panel and think this is a GREAT Autum/Winter dress. This dress, with it's 3/4 sleeves and long hemline is discreet and elegant... but also, because of the sheer fabric, a little sexy and risqué. Christmas parties, Ladies!

Photobucket

Geo Print Celia Dress - £75.00

Firstly, let me just say: LOVE, LOVE, LOVE, LOVE, LOVE, LOVE, LOVE:

Photobucket

I adore this dress! Truth be told - prior to buying in any of these items - I WANTED to love this dress. I LOVE the look of it on the Evans site and wanted it to fit and make me feel fantastic. BINGO! It does. I got this in a 20, because unlike the other items I've tried - it isn't quite as heavily tailored. The breast is snug - but good for fit, and my waist is defined and therby my shape feels LOVELY.

Boombands Em rocking Clements Ribeiro for Evans Swan 2 - AW12 Collection.

One of my favourite aspects of this dress is the lace panels on the shoulders. I don't actually feel these are well covered on the Evans site - but in real life, they add a goegous touch to the dress - as well as break up the look and pattern.

Photobucket
The burgundy is a beautiful rich colour, nicely broken up by the blue and white spots... The metallic silver threading is also pretty perfect. Style wise, I like the long hemline on this and think the pleating across the breast is an interesting touch - not my favourite touch - but something which AGAIN - adds a unique feel to the dress and makes it kind of special.

My one real critique of this dress is the side zip - it's one of those annoyingly weak ziplines that made me wish they'd gone for something a little stronger - but this is a small bone of contention. I mean the dress frigging rocks it.

One important point, ladies? There is no give in this. The material isn't stretchy. I thought it might be, before I got it home, which is why I'm mentioning it. Buy your size though - and the dress will fit like a DREAM.

BOOM!


Photobucket

Whoa Baby. Talk about a KILLER print on this one. I LOVE this. This is very much MY style of shape, print and colouring. Firstly - purple - my favourite colour, on black - with pink. Also? Floral. Before I even put this on, this was a WIN dress. 

PhotobucketIn the last Swan Collection by Clements Ribeiro, I bought the Lace Betty Dress which was a gorgeous snug fit. This latest Betty, in Pansy print, is made in a gorgeous cloque satin (as in double weave - giving it texture) and is a little lighter and looser than the first round of Bettys. Despite the satin - the texturing in the fabric doesn't make this shiny - rather interesting, light catching and beautiful.

As you can see, this dress has quite a bit of structured tailoring going on - with the waist heavily defined by a fabric band right under the bust. Last time I tried the Bettys - I wasn't convinced by the high neckline and low hemline - but this time I think they work really nicely with the colouring and print. As I mentioned above, this dress is a little looser than the last round of Bettys and I think it will accomodate rounder bellies and bottoms really nicely.

This dress is feminine and pretty. I could wear this to work but also light up a room with colour and style on a night out. I like this - a lot - and I rekon MANY of you would too.

This is a good collection and another beautiful offering from Evans and Clements Ribeiro... I know that for some of you - this Collection comes up a little expensive - so make sure you POUNCE when sales arrive - because I rekon MANY women will! Like with the last collaboration, these pieces celebrate our figures but also indulge in gorgeous fabrics and beautiful prints. I hear (from a wee birdy), that a Christmas Collection is on the cards... If it's true - I hope Evans, Clements Ribeiro and Santa bring something really nice!

Oh yes!!

xxx.


11 comments:

  1. You look so lovely in all the dresses! I have my eye on the Wisteria 21 dress.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rachel, that one really surprised me when I put it on, as I said in the review - I wasn't initially convinced when I first saw it on the rack - but it is LOVELY. DO IT!!

      Delete
  2. Thanks for a great post, you do look lovely in all of the dresses but particularly the burgundy. I love the way you describe the dresses and it helps when I think about buying. I can't wait for the Christmas collection and the appearance of the lace topped dress with collar. October I had read somewhere, hope its true!
    Car2964

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!
      Meanwhile, I'm so excited for the "Flapper" style they keep promising us! Fingers Crossed for Christmas!

      Delete
  3. I love this post, and I love seeing you in a different location in your house! You always look amazing but that wisteria dress is just awesome! The Ceclia looks fab, the colour really suits you xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're always so brilliant at describing everything in great detail, it's much appreciated. I think I might even prefer this collection to the first, although I haven't bought anything yet (waiting for sales because considering the amount of dresses I own, I can't justify spending a lot on one). Last time I generally found the sizing to be very generous and took one or two sizes down or the smallest size available in the case of the Frida dress! As I don't have a stockist near me, it meant ordering and reordering tonnes, but I think I would size down again...they seem to fit my big bust but then are too generous elsewhere. The sleeves always tend to be too roomy on me and the waist/hips a little big and the hemlines sometimes too long (even with smaller sizes), but I DO love the collection despite the sizing issues. The pansy Betty is my fave and I'll cry if I don't get that one!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for such a great post, Em. As ever, you look fabulous in all the dresses, don't know how you picked just 2!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgeous, gorgeous, gorgeousness. I've yet to invest in any of the Swan pieces, last time around I didn't love anything enough to go through the hassle of either online shopping (which I really hate...I want to see and feel what I'm buying damnit!) nor trek to my nearest stockist of the range, all of which are a fair distance away. But you are right as ever, despite not being as loudly lauded as the previous collection, round two seems to be packing even more of a punch than the launch. I'd entirely overlooked the Geo Print Celia dress on the website...your amazing review has gotten me thinking twice!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just browsing the Evans website and about to buy some dresses. Typed the dress names into google and found your blog. I love it. You look yay better in the celia dress than the model does. Sold. Will keep you updated as to how they look on me.

    ReplyDelete

Hi there! Thank you for leaving your post. Due to some blatantly obvious spammers I have had to turned comment moderation back on with word captcha for older posts. Hopefully the spammers will bugger off and I can take some of the settings back to normal quickly! Thank you and smooches! Em. x