Wednesday, 2 May 2012

Model Series: Harriet Coleman.

Harriet for Evolve Magazine.

I met Harriet Coleman last year at the Curves In Couture Event... On that fantastic night, Harriet was one of those models who hit the Catwalk and immediately made me think - WOW. The spirit and energy as she walked was electric. For me, Harriet brings curves to fashion - but with an added sense of attitude which immediately intrigued me. Harriet makes me want to pay attention.

WOW. Shot by Brian Rolfe.

1. As a plus model, you bring a gorgeous dose of curves to fashion - how do you feel about what you do?

I couldn’t be more proud to be part of the plus size industry, I love my job and it means the world to me! I feel very privileged and grateful in what I do, I get to experience some amazing things, go to some great places and meet lots of lovely people! Modelling is not just my job, it’s a passion too! When I’m modelling, I’m at my happiest, and to represent the plus size industry is an absolute pleasure!

2. You got scouted by Toni and Guy! Can you tell me a little more about how that all happened?

I was 17 years old, I was getting my hair cut and I guess you could say it was being there - in the right place, at the right time! The owner was visiting the salon and he came up to me and said 'have you ever been interested in modelling, if so would you like to be the face of Toni and Guy?' I instantly said yes and a few weeks later we were shooting!! It was a surreal moment, I couldn’t believe my luck, but having that experience I knew that was the career path I wanted to go down!

3. And after they scouted you - how did you find yourself signing to an agency?

Whilst modelling for Toni and Guy I wasn't signed with a specific agency, I just had an agent who actually worked for Storm model management at the time. After having the experience of modelling for Toni and Guy, I then got signed with agencies.

Whilst modelling for Toni and Guy I was a ‘straight size’ model. Naturally, I wasn't skinny so it was a struggle for me to maintain a specific size and after modelling for them and other hair companies for a year, I then decided to apply for plus size agencies, this was a perfect decision for me to make. I'm 5'11", quite big boned and curvy, going into the plus size industry was a great idea and seemed more realistic for body! :)

Doing what she loves the most!

4. I've read that you thought about being a model, but initially studied Fashion Design, Textiles and Art before being discovered - do you find that study affects your work as a model?

I managed to fit my education in whilst modelling, I think it was important for me to have gone to college, just as a backup plan if my modelling career didn't work out. Before I got scouted, I originally wanted to be a fashion designer, but after having my first modelling experience at the age of 17, I knew that it was all I wanted to do!

Muse Promo featuring Harriet and Kailee O'Sullivan.

5. Now, you've travelled from London's Milk Agency to be "on assignment" with Muse in New York, what opportunities have opened for you in the States?

My time in New York has been truly amazing! I’ve just recently done an editorial for BUST magazine and worked with the very talented photographer Samantha West, who I have worked with before, it was an absolute pleasure to work with her again, and I'm very much looking forward to the issue coming out next month! I also have been working regularly with the client Macy's and Ideeli, its always great working with those clients too!

7. When I was in New York, my friend and I went to the Russian Tea Room for dinner and another evening got really tipsy and sang "New York, New York" outside of the Flat Iron Building - what is your favourite "tourist" moment in New York so far?

I've had many great moments whilst living in New York, I don't think I can decide on a favourite one!! St Patricks day and superbowl was pretty interesting...the New Yorkers most certainly know how to through a good party!!

8. You've done some stunning editorial and fashion work - quite recently for Vogue Italia, Anna Scholz, Macys - when you think about all that work - how does it make you feel?

I can’t quite believe it, since being with Milk and Muse management my career has really rocketed, I have two amazing agents, Anna Shillinglaw and Becca Thorpe – (both former plus size models) who generally care about and believe in all of their models! I’m in my element when it comes to doing editorial, I love trying different things, and thinking outside of the box!

Harriet for Anna Scholz Black Label.

Being the face of and working with the designer Anna Scholz for the Black Label campaign was an amazing experience, it was an absolute dream to collaborate with her, she has a heart of gold! Being featured on Vogue Italia several times is over whelming, I’m currently on there now for the Muse model management plus board promo!

9. Your mother and grandmother (right) were also models - it must feel pretty amazing to be continuing that line?

It sure does! My grandmother and mother never pressurised me into perusing a modelling career, but they always said that I had the potential and left me to figure out when I wanted to become a model! They have both been hugely inspiring and very supportive, and have stood right behind me! I guess I have no option to escape modelling as it’s in my blood! But it’s what I love doing the most! ☺

10. Now, One of my favourite things I found is that you have your own tumblr page and sometimes pop up little snapshots of your life! Do you use your tumblr to be a little creative? Keep people informed? What's the inspiration behind that?

I just decided to make a blog for friends, family and followers to catch up on what I’m up to. It’s a really quick, convenient and easy way to update people! Especially being far away from home sometimes, it’s a great way to let people know what I’m up to! ;)


Harriet and her fellow Milk Girls!

11. How do you look after your skin?

I have super sensitive skin, and personally for my skin I get on well with very natural products, nothing too strong, so at the moment I'm using Neal's Yard remedies power berry face wash, rose water as a toner and then I moisturise with Dr Hauschka rose light day cream - all of those products I use are non tested on animals too, which is a bonus!

Shot by Elliot Morgan.

12. What is your personal fashion style?

I like to mix and match, sometimes I wear dark colours, prints and patterns. Or I like to wear something a bit more colourful and edgy! Depends on how I’m feeling that day, I believe that clothes and style is a way of expressing how you feel!

13. What is your fashion advice for any girls reading?

Literally every body, shape and size is different. I think dress according to what shape you are and what ever makes you feel most comfortable, show off your assets and curves! For me it would probably be my legs so I’m a big fan of skinny jeans and then a nice floaty top and my favourite leather jacket.

14. What self indulgences (fashion or beauty) do you allow yourself?

Time to time I will treat myself to a nice facial, being a model we have to look after our skin, and having to wear heavy make-up on a regular basis I think there’s no harm in investing in a nice treat now and again!

A sneaky peak. Shot by Samantha West for BUST Magazine. 

AND FINALLY - If you could be in a modelling campaign with any international celebrity (model, actor, writer, director etc.). Who would you choose and what would the campaign look like and be about?

I would love to be given the opportunity to do a high fashion campaign, it would be amazing to work for Tom Ford, I love all his ads that he does, they’re very sexy but classy! I have a slight obsession with the actor Adrian Brody, so it would be very nice to model beside him! ;)

Harriet, I mocked this up for you. TOTALLY HOT.

Harriet is signed to Milk in the UK and Muse in New York. She stands at 5'10", wears a UK 14 and is just gorgeous. I feel lucky to have had the chance to interview her - and feel so excited to share this piece on my blog.

Thank you Harriet!

xxx.




Photo Credits include: Evolve Magazine, Brian Rolfe, Natalia Illina, Ashlee Grey, Elliot Morgan, Sam West

2 comments:

  1. I've been on your blog for ages, but just wanted to write and say how impressed I am by this interview. Harriet seems so lovely and accessible and her photos are divine. You wrote somewhere that she makes you want to pay attention - and I can see that, very much! These are great features and makes your blog really unique. Congratulations on another great thing!
    Best, Sascha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. HOLY HOT WOMEN BATMAN!
    She looks amazing but seems really smart too.
    Wish there was more from this model to read.
    Great Interview.

    ReplyDelete

Hi there! Thank you for leaving your post. Due to some blatantly obvious spammers I have had to turned comment moderation back on with word captcha for older posts. Hopefully the spammers will bugger off and I can take some of the settings back to normal quickly! Thank you and smooches! Em. x