Monday, 2 April 2012

Review: Swan by Clements Ribeiro for Evans (Part One).

Boombands Em at Evans for the Clement Ribeiro Launch of their Swan Collection.

Let's get straight to it. You've possibly seen from my last post, the gorgeous layout for the Marble Arch Evans release of Swan by Clements Ribeiro - but you want the gossip. Size, cut, fit, fabric, right?

First up though - these images are taken in a change room, with high lighting and no flash. Some taken with Blackberry, some with a camera - colours may not be entirely consistent, but you'll get a good grasp of shape. Plus - I've a bit to say on each! Well. Let's go.

Boombands Em at Evans for the Clement Ribeiro Launch of their Swan Collection.


Boombands Em at Evans for the Clement Ribeiro Launch of their Swan Collection.
This is LOVELY. A real floaty dream, actually. This is made from Polyester, and while you CAN feel that in the fabric texture - it is still really beautiful. I know a lot of women do get put off immediately by poly fabrics, but this one is lovely. I'm saying to all you anti Polyester ladies maybe try this on, as this one is pretty fab!

I'm in a 20 here and found it roomy and nice on my body. I love that you get a self-tie fabric belt, but also a skinny black belt - you could alternate or wear them both together (which is my style). It is long and light - a really nice maxi that could be boho sexy or dressed up for a fancy night through Summer. The outer print layer of this dress is VERY light, while the inside (attached) lining is a wee bit heavier and designed to skim curves. I saw this on a couple of different women in the change room and it seemed to work on quite a few body shapes. As I said - LOVELY.


Swan Stripe and Flower Print "Adele" Jersey Tunic - £55.00

Boombands Em at Evans for the Clement Ribeiro Launch of their Swan Collection.

Let's put it out there immediately. This is not for me. But it is still really lovely. I have sized down to an 18 as I felt the 20 was a little roomy on me. This is made from a supple jersey with lots of stretch capacity. x. I think (for me) this needs a belt and some more definition, but obviously - that's easily achieved. I like the print a lot (in real life it's EVEN MORE striking) and I think the stripes work really nicely with the florals. It's kind of cute actually. I think that for some women who like this shape - this will be a dream. The print is interesting and unique. The cut is quite long. 

Boombands Em at Evans for the Clement Ribeiro Launch of their Swan Collection.

In fact - LENGTH. I must say that a few items in Swan are longer than I anticipated - it actually stopped me from buying one dress due to hemming issues, but we'll get to that. I mention it now, as a few of us girls in the change rooms (bloggers and consumers, alike) - all felt at times that a dress could have gone up an inch or two.

Swan Red "Joan" Dress with Sequin Shoulder - £55.00

Boombands Em at Evans for the Clement Ribeiro Launch of their Swan Collection.

WOW Evans! Way to let me show that I can really work red! This is a pretty STUNNING dress. For this one - I got the most compliments when trying it in the change room. I am in a 20 here. Fit wise, this isn't quite right on my F-cup boobies but everything else is lovely. The waist is fitted but roomy and the pleating from under the high waist makes for a nice drape. I'm not big into wearing shoulder embellishments as I feel that with my heavy breast and round hip shape - shoulder embellishments (or shoulder pads) can make me look a little boxy. This is one of those items though, that in a different context and looking back at photos - I can see looks really good. If you want to light a fire in a room - this is the one. A real show stopper.


Boombands Em at Evans for the Clement Ribeiro Launch of their Swan Collection.

Oh gorgeous dress - I lament your sizing. You were too tight for me in the 20 and then too big in the 22. I was excited for this one - it was the lace and the cut online that captured me!

Boombands Em at Evans for the Clement Ribeiro Launch of their Swan Collection.

Alas, in the 22 - I felt there was too much room from the hip and in the 20, my big old boobies were ready to burst. This is BEAUTIFUL and really great - just not for my body.

I'd love to hear how other women fare in this one? What happens with your hips and boobage? I desperately wanted to fit this one, so any other experiences with it, would be great!


Swan Mint Green and Putty Jersey Wrap "Frida" Dress - £70.00

Boombands Em at Evans for the Clement Ribeiro Launch of their Swan Collection.

Yes. I look orangey. Go lighting. Moving on...

I LOVE THIS ONE. This is a 20 and it is amazing. Made from Polyester and Elastane - this is light, feels suple on the the skin and has a nice degree of stretch. I tried the 20 in this as the next size up (22/24) was dual and I knew it would be too big. But this - this 20 - AMAZING. I like the combination of the prints, I love the high v-neck coverage and I think the shape is fantastic. I put this on and it was a real "YES" dress. I kept this on for ages and just kept going back to the mirror to look at myself.

I want to add that despite this being titled as a "wrap" dress, it really just has a "wrap" feature to the bust and isn't actually a wrap at all. I LOVED the bust line actually - it felt secure and has good cleavage cover.

Boombands Em at Evans for the Clement Ribeiro Launch of their Swan Collection.

I have length issues with this dress. It isn't too long - but it did feel long. Pretty much everyone agreed on that. I talked about wearing it with bare legs and heeled sandals to lengthen it, but really - through most of summer? I'm a flats girl. The whole, Aussie "thongs" wearing thing, you see. And by "thong" I mean Flip-Flops... Us Aussies? We love them. THONGS for the FEET.

Hemming this dress would be hard due to the extra panel of green at the bottom. I would want a seamstress to remove that panel, cut some of the putty colour out and then re-hem with the green panel... that isn't a huge job, but it isn't cheap either. There were a couple of comments through the morning on dress lengths feeling a bit long on almost everyone. Now don't get me wrong, not everything needs to be knee-length or mid thigh - but a lot of the dresses felt long. LOVELY - just long. I'm 5'5 - which is a pretty standard height, the model on the Evans site certainly has this dress hitting at about her knee. Bummer for me really.

I love it - I'm just gonna have to think about it. Maybe wait for it to hit a sale. HOPEFULLY.

Boombands Em at Evans for the Clement Ribeiro Launch of their Swan Collection.

The tops in this collection weren't quite for me... BUT - I still tried the Swan Black Oversized Cotton T-shirt (£35.00). This is a 16, so the word "oversized" is not an exaggeration in the title. It felt lovely - great material and really floaty and true to oversize! Lauren, over at Pocket Rocket tried a few other top options, so be sure and check her blog for HER change room post in the next few days!

Which brings me to...


Boombands Em at Evans for the Clement Ribeiro Launch of their Swan Collection.

FREAKING LOVE! I never wear trousers, so maybe that's why these blew my mind. The elasticated waist is comfortable and wide, meaning the pant sits nicely and the waist doesn't cut into my torso. I could have sized to a 20 in these, but wanted the extra fabric for a heavier drape so am wearing a 22. Indeed because of the wide waist band, the drape of the pant falls from just below my waist line (just under the roundest part of my hip) so it's kind of low slung. I found these trousers to have a really attractive, comfortable and smooth shape. These babies are a little long on me (you can see my pink socks peeking out) but would work for me with a baby heel.

Boombands Em at Evans for the Clement Ribeiro Launch of their Swan Collection.

The material is floaty and light. As mentioned, I don't really wear trousers, so didn't buy them - but I do think they are great and really nicely made.

Now, these pants are slowly, but surely selling out in sizes - so I suggest getting on to it. IF your size does go - as I said - sizing UP was my preferred option in these.

Okay! Break Time! I'm gonna work on a Part Two now, as I have over FIVE more pieces to go and I want this to be live for you girls.

More soon. x.

9 comments:

  1. Absolutely love the maxi dress, did you buy it? I have to admit that I'm not keen on the trousers and oversized t shirts, I thought that even on the models they kind of looked too much like pyjamas, but then I know these sort of trousers are fashionable at the moment - and I am not!! I'm surprised by the length of the other dresses, particulalry the mock wrap, I thought that would be knee length at most. I ordered the Adele tunic, but I had a feeling it may not be the most flattering of the lot, but I am a sucker for lots of bright and bold colour!
    Can't wait for part 2. Thank you for doing these things for us x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great to see the pieces on someone! Thanks Em

    ReplyDelete
  3. So gorgeous! I really love the trousers! I don't know if I could get away with them though - at barely 5'4" and over 40 yrs old. But you look adorable! Such a great way to make trousers ultra feminine.

    I love the way you can wear all different colors. The red is stunning on you and so is the mint green and putty Frida dress. Is it meant to be a maxi? After seeing this on you I now really want this dress!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for an informative piece that I think will really help those who haven't got anything or are still trying to decide what to get. I think my favourites on you are the mock-wrap dress and the maxi. Looking forward to part 2. xXx

    ReplyDelete
  5. nice to see the clothes on! I actually love the red dress on you only, I feel most of theis collection is not for a girl with a lot of cleveage as I am too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi, I think what you are doing is really great and fair play to you for it.. You have just highlighted on of my major problems with Evans as a plus size woman myself.. And that is sizing inconsistency. You were in sizes from a 16 - 22.. They are meant to be professionals, they should know for different styles what adjustments to make to get the desired size but they dont seem to.. But again thanks, was really interesting to see the clothes on a real woman!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That red dress, wow! You certainly look smashing in red! I love the pants, I'm another person who doesn't really wear pants, but those pants make it so tempting!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just bought the Adele scarf I had no idea about this collection. Unfortunately I've moved from the UK to New Zealand and can no longer shop at Evans but at least I can now order from their website and the shipping is reasonable and takes about 10 days so I'm definitely going to order the Pansy, the Hearts and the Anglese dresses soon.

    Karen
    www.balmainbeauty.com
    https://twitter.com/balmainbeauty

    ReplyDelete
  9. Late to it but loving your review thus far...especially as I know have a better idea of what the cut and style on stuff is like....I've been eyeing up the red dress for a while as for some reason I'm drawn to it, I'm thinking that it'll probably work on me, if I'm following rules of styling!!

    But yeah, fab review, and I'm now off to read and comment on the second half!!

    ReplyDelete

Hi there! Thank you for leaving your post. Due to some blatantly obvious spammers I have had to turned comment moderation back on with word captcha for older posts. Hopefully the spammers will bugger off and I can take some of the settings back to normal quickly! Thank you and smooches! Em. x