Thursday, 15 December 2011

Carolyn de la Drapière: Studio Visit!

Photobucket

Many of you will recall, last month, thanks to Anna Scholz, I was able to head to the wonderful Curves in Couture event. In my write-up, I discussed the night as being AMAZING and mentioned my first impressions of the plus size clothing from designer Carolyn de la Drapière. I wanted to know more!

Well heck, Ladies - say something loud enough...!

Curves in Couture Photo by Boombands Em.
Carolyn (centre) at the Curves in Couture event.

Carolyn invited Mr. Darcy and I to her studio for a delightful morning of chatting, looking at clothes AND then - trying them on for size! I constantly rave about how amazing our plus-size fashion can be and I feel lucky to have spent the day with Carolyn, who again solidified these feelings.

Carolyn and I both grew up in Australia and while Carolyn's been in the UK a lot longer than me, our conversation was still easy and familiar! Carolyn is passionate about what she does. She got her grounding in sewing and tailoring at home, learning from her mother at an early age.  Mind you, being a designer was not where Carolyn started her career... But, it IS where her heart has brought her... Having tried some of her clothes, I can tell you, she's very good at it.


Photobucket
At the Curves in Couture show, Carolyn had a couple of gorgeous wrap dresses head down the catwalk... I knew I had to try them!

My heart skipped a beat when I put this one on. I immediately noticed three things... 

Details: thanks to the covered buttons, structured edging and high wearing collar; 

Tailoring: the shape of this dress is just perfect on my body. I was pulled (without actually being pulled) into a gorgeous hour glass that made me look, well, delicious and sexy - but also classic and feminine... (even if I do say so myself).

Last, but not least - Fabric. Luxurious. High Quality. Beautiful. All of it.

Photobucket
The details are amazing when it comes to Carolyn's designs! I also LOVE this print!!!

In fact I put this dress on, and my Mr Darcy did a double take.

Photobucket

The next dress I tried, another wrap, was made from a heavy(ish) linen. Honestly? My instincts would never see me choose a heavy linen fabric to try - but thank goodness I did.

Photobucket
The dress felt secure and structured, the fabric soft and I felt... Well. This one made me think of vintage sailing trips from the 1950s. I would totally have rocked this look!

AGAIN in this wrap, you can see the gorgeous shape and the sexy emphasis on accentuating curves in the most delightful and feminine manner.

This dress was a quick favourite of mine. There was something about the fabric (print and feel) that made me feel current but also vintage... isn't it crazy and LOVELY how clothes can be so magic in their construction?

Photobucket

The great thing about being in the studio with Carolyn was her actually dressing me. Carolyn's garments can be made to size or tailored to the body, I loved watching her standing back to assess me and decide if something was right or needed straightening, tightening, sizing up or sizing down. It was proper fun!!

Photobucket

I wanted to share some of this with you but looking through my photos, there really is too much for just one post. So next week? Look out for two more!

Photobucket

You know it ladies, I LOVE FASHION... I love designer fashion. I love high street fashion. Ultimately, I love GOOD fashion; the kind of fashion made with us in mind. Carolyn de la Drapière makes clothes for us and she makes them well... I am so excited to show you more!


Smooches,

Em. xxx.

9 comments:

  1. I fell in love with he photos I saw on all the blogs of her show, and really want to try something of hers, it all looks divine!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ahh those dresses are AMAZING, i need the sweet patterned one in my life, they just look amazing. xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my god, I'd die for the blue & White spotty number, it's heaven!!! X

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh you look amazing in that first dress and the print is just too cute!

    It's great that you got to discover a new brand and most of all the woman behind it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love love the detail on the sleeve of the first dress. And the blue one your being fitted in. I want it so bad!! Beautiul vintagey styles.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wowoh! The shape of these dresses are great and you look super pretty, very va-va-voom. I usually don't like too much print but I really love the first dress.

    <3Honeysuckelle

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh wow....I'm in love! I love the detailing on the sweet dress, and I love its pattern too, and the second dress is just as lovely! Beautiful, gorgeous clothes.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh wow! So gorgeous! I really love the polka dotted dress, and seeing as it's heavy linen, I could see it being a great 'go to' winter dress, seeing as it doesn't get super freezing here!

    ReplyDelete
  9. love your blog! I don't know how I haven't come across it before. It is so nice to see a plus size blogger who is in her thirties (like me). I follow and greatly enjoy many plus size blogs, but quite a few of them have style (that is awesome) that tends to cater to younger women and/or women still in undergrad. I love being quirky and fun, but at the same time, I MUST look professional for my career. . .And, as a teacher, I can't get away with some of the sexier/super quirky/over-done looks I see on blogs written by women a decade younger than me. Thanks so much for an amazing and much needed perspective.

    ReplyDelete

Hi there! Thank you for leaving your post. Due to some blatantly obvious spammers I have had to turned comment moderation back on with word captcha for older posts. Hopefully the spammers will bugger off and I can take some of the settings back to normal quickly! Thank you and smooches! Em. x