Monday, 21 November 2011

Curves in Couture.

Anna Scholz,Cliff Kaye,BoombandsEm,Curves In Couture,Plus-Size,Fashion,Couture
Anna Scholz, Cliff Kaye and I at Curves in Couture.

There is something so sexy about a little confidence, a wry smile and lots of spirit. Last Thursday at the Curves in Couture event in London - Notting Hill exploded with the sass and confidence of curvy fashion and let me tell you, it was pretty damn sexy.

Plus-size Bloggers
Lauren from Pocket Rocket, Rosie from A Rose Like This, Claire from Monkey Fatshionista.

As I walked the red carpet into Curves in Couture, I felt awash with anticipation. The bar was buzzing with celebrity, media, paparazzi, designers and (of course) fashion lovers from all over... As I entered, I was immediately grabbed by The Pocket Rocket and The Monkey Fatshionista, who - like myself - were excited with anticipation of what we were about to see; International Models taking the runway to showcase some of the best plus-size fashion in the world. WOW WOW WOW.

PhotobucketThe main room with the catwalk looked amazing. I had never been to The Tabernacle in London before, but it was a fantastic venue enabling excellent views of the catwalk from all angles. There was some time before the show started and I met Victoria from Fierce Fat and Fashionable, as well as Rosie from A Rose Like This. There was such a spirit in the air. It was positive and beautiful and exciting.

I made a beeline for Anna Scholz and her (BEYOND FABULOUS) crew to thank them for my invitation, as well as catch up on the planning and staging that goes into their participation in such an event. Anyone on facebook would've seen that the planning of Curves In Couture was a massive effort, done by volunteers, with proceeds going to The Advance Centre... it felt amazing to see it all coming together.

Velvet d'Amour
I swear, as Velvet d'Amour entered the room - it almost exploded with excitement. The press made for Velvet, then Velvet made for Anna, so with the Anna Scholz Fashion team (Winnie, Liz and Stefanie - LOVE), I found my seat.

The show was opened by Natalie Cassidy who introduced the Models of Diversity. MOD effectively put on the night's event,and is a group dedicated to bringing a more diverse range to the catwalk, without discrimination, or reference to age, race, size or (dis)ability. It was a beautiful opener for the show and a unique, positive way to start. There were a couple of models who came out - who literally gave me goose bumps - it drilled home, THIS WAS NO ORDINARY night!

Pamela Stephenson took the stage to introduce the "Curves in Couture" aspect of the show. You know how sometimes your body can brace with anticipation? Well, the WHOLE ROOM was like that. Universally, a breath was held, as Anna's show was announced and Robyn Lawley took the stage - I felt like my heart was going to explode out of my chest, it was beating so fast with excitement.

Photobucket

Ladies, let me tell you - it is an amazing thing to be in a room like that. Everyone was SO READY for the show. And suddenly, here we were. Robyn Lawley, Lizzie Miller, Tocarra Jones, Sophie Sheppard, Tanya Gervasi, Gina Swire, Marlous Van Zee, Mellissa Laycy, Harriet Coleman, Anoushka, Victoria Eisermann and model after model. SO MANY gorgeous models showcasing fashion I can wear. That YOU can wear.

Anna Scholz's show contained gorgeous clothing from her Spring Summer 2012 Collection. As mentioned, Robyn Lawley came out first, followed by Lizzie Miller and as the night started, it felt like us audience members were privy to something very special.

Photobucket

Photobucket

There were tunics, dresses, summery cover-ups for swimwear... all of it looked stunning, and whether form fitting or flowy, they were shaped with you and I in mind.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

You know how I feel about Anna, her tailoring is supurb and it was fantastic to see the clothing on the different models as they walked the catwalk. As ever, when I saw the clothes, my heart leapt thanks to the colour and prints on show.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

I love the femininity present in the collection - it was all just so female and curvy and beautiful. Seriously ladies. I can not wait for next year!

Photobucket

Photobucket

As the last model in the Anna Scholz range had walked the catwalk, it felt like time had passed too quickly - it was a great opener - as those of us watching NEEDED to see more. What a great way to start.

Up next was young designer Erin Lacey who had Robyn Lawley showcase one amazing dress from her range.

Photobucket

Erin is a new, young designer and her clothing looks innovative and sexy. Robyn took the catwalk by storm and although it was a pity we only got to see one dress - it did make me hungry; I can not wait to learn more! There was a tailoring aspect to the dress that let me know - Erin is one to watch.

Photobucket
Erin Lacey (left) with Robyn Lawley

Following Erin was Carolyn de la Drapière a London based designer creating clothes for every day women. I had not heard of Carolyn's designs previously and watched with bated breath...

Photobucket

Photobucket

There was some lovely colour, but what struck me immediately was the tailoring. The clothes looked beautiful and spirited - her wrap dress is something I must try and certainly, the shapes of the dresses, pants and tops that went down the catwalk were just lovely.

Photobucket

Photobucket

It was amazing actually. And as a fashion lover with some time off at the moment - I plan to go on a search and see what else I can find from this designer.

Photobucket
Carolyn de la Drapière (centre) on the Catwalk for the Finale!

Danielle Liane. WELL. Danielle is a student designer and the clothes she put down the catwalk were completely sexy. For those of you who love curve hugging, sheer fabrics - you have to get on board!

Photobucket

Photobucket


The dresses we saw were all beautiful, a little risquè and completely feminine. The collection was bejeweled, included jewel colours (rich bright green and blue) and then also had a degree of sublime sparkle.


Photobucket
Danielle Liane (left) for her finale walk.

Jill Alexander was the last curvy couture designer in the show. Just like Anna was the perfect way to start - Jill's Collection was a great way to end.

 Photobucket

There was sass and spirit because AS SOON as the first model, Tocarra, came out and shimmied to the salsa style music, we knew were in for a treat.

Photobucket

Photobucket

This collection (Spring Summer 2012) is vibrant and full of energy. As with so many of Jill's amazing Collections her use of colour and print was ever present as we watched the dresses, playsuits and skirts go by.


Photobucket

Robyn Lawley looked stunning in block colours and Tanya Gervasi had the crowd whopping in Jill's wedding dress finale.

Photobucket

Photobucket

The Collection was exquisite and as the only designer showing from the United States it was special to know we were seeing a first and exclusive showing of the upcoming Collection.

Jill Alexander,Tanya Gervasi
Jill Alexander (left) with Tanya Gervasi.

After the Curvy Couture was completed, next down the catwalk were ten of the latest and innovative hats by milliner Ilda Di Vico. I am obsessed with peacocks, and the hats with peacock feathers were my favourites.

Photobucket

All were amazing though and the ones worn by Robyn and Lizzie were particularly mind blowing.

Following the Di Vico designs was one last garment by Renaissance and it was modeled by Kelly Knox. Kelly won the show "Britains Missing Top Model" and looked stunning in the Renaissance dress, this beautiful woman was a perfect way to remind the audience about diversity needed in fashion.

Photobucket

The finale went to the designers who took to the stage and walked with a model (in their design) down the catwalk. SUCH cheering.

This was a really amazing night and in the audience was Caroline Rush, the CEO of the British Fashion Council - it would be fantastic to think she might look at the night and consider inviting a plus designer to show at London Fashion Week. Also there was Zandra Rhodes, other international models, press, bloggers, supporters... The night had spirit and energy.

After the show I enjoyed a drink downstairs and chatted with people. EVERYONE had a great time, everyone felt excited. As an ex-pat Australian, I was proud to meet Robyn Lawley and Sophie Sheppard - both women were stunning and friendly and seemed to like chatting to someone from home. Hells yeah.

Robyn Lawley,Harriet Coleman,Sophie Sheppard
Harriet Coleman, Robyn Lawley and Sophie Sheppard.

I met the gorgeous model, Harriet Coleman, who I am sure is about to explode on the fashion scene and the stunning Gina Swire who I accosted for a photo. I looked in awe at Lizzie Miller, who for me, is a bit of a fashion goddess - the first model who made me think - I CAN BE INVOLVED thanks to her now infamous photo in Glamor. It was great to say hello to her too.

Harriet Coleman
Harriet Coleman and Anna Scholz with Lizzie Miller in Background Left.

Gina Swire,BoombandsEm
Myself with Gina Swire. Look at us WORK it!

What I am trying to say is that these amazing women were accessible. It was pretty stunning to see models go down a catwalk in clothes I can wear, and then lovely to be able to chat to them afterwards. A group shot was taken at the end of the night as we were walking through Notting Hill - and while I was invited to jump in for the shot, I am more pleased that I got the image (a few times!!) on my camera... It was fantastic and surreal - all at the same time.

Lizzie Miller,Anoushka
So cool... End of the night group shot. I took a couple for myself and some for the models too! Aw!

I ended my night with Anna, Liz (from Anna Scholz Fashion) and Gina. It was fun and lovely and I felt lucky to have been invited and indeed, included by everyone - so easily. I don't experience girlie nights out too often and this felt like an ULTIMATE girlie night out. I also learnt something about myself. I can be a bit shy.

I must say a massive congratulations to the Models Of Diversity team for putting on such a stunning event.

And again, to Anna, Cliff, Winnie, Stefanie, Liz and everyone else at Anna Scholz, thank you for my invitation - I had a fabulous night.

For more images from the night (all the images here were taken by me) as well as MORE write ups from the night - click through these great links (more will be added as people publish).



Smooches, Em. x.




With the exception of photos I am in, all photos in this post were taken by me. Please note you may only reproduce these photos as there were originally published (you may not edit them) and you must credit and link back to my site. Photo of Anna Scholz, Cliff Kaye and I was taken by Liz from Anna Scholz. Photo of Gina Swire and I was taken by Claire of Monkey Fashionista.

12 comments:

  1. EM THAT SOUNDS AMAZEBALLZ... wish I could have teleported there!
    Great wrap up, I shared it on my facebook/twitter x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Em,
    What a fabulous Blog!! I wish I had met you at the event as you sound exactly like the type of woman I love to dress - sexy, positive and curvy! Well done for writing such a spirited and inspirational blog about the show.
    Am actually wondering what part of Australia you are from? I was born in NewZealand, but grew up in Sydney, Australia - mainly in Manly! How I miss those northern Beaches when this foul old London weather hits.
    WOuld love to meet you if you have the time.. pop into the studio if you fancy and try on some clothes..would be great to meet!
    All the Best,Carolyn Draper (Carolyn de la Drapiere)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great night Em! And YOU look stunning as well. Really happy for you x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your catwalk pictures are brilliant! Really close up. Looking forward to seeing you on Thurs.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, what a night out that must've been!

    I've fallen in love with the dress Anna Scholz was wearing (and have seen the price, eep!) I don't think Santa will be that kind to me, but one can dream ;) x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks like an absolutely amazing, fantastic night...its good to see events like this happening, and I dont think non-plus onese ever seem half as much fun as this!

    I've definitely got some new inspiration for different designers to go have a flick through later!

    ReplyDelete
  7. quite impressive. I didn't even know that events like this existed, they sure don't in LA. Or yet,... WOW. thank you for sharing. Would love to get in contact..

    xx-

    www.samplesize16.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. These is an awesome post, thanks so much for sharing all these fabulous pictures and details of your evening. The models are stunning as are the clothes they are modeling. It sounds like you had a great time.

    <3Honeysuckelle

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just wanted to say I love this site! Lizzie Miller linked it on her page. I love all the dresses and if I had a million dollars I'd buy 'em in my size--thanks for keeping fashion real. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you all so much for your amazing feedback. It was such a stunning night and I wanted to do a round up that was fun, but also, let you know the feeling of the night. Reading your comments, I think I may've captured that all okay - so thank you so much.

    This was an amazing event. Let's keep our fingers crossed that we can make things like this keep happening. xxx.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh this looks like it was so much fun! I love some of the colours in the designs, I'm loving colours so a fair few of your images had me 'ohhh'ing.

    ReplyDelete

Hi there! Thank you for leaving your post. Due to some blatantly obvious spammers I have had to turned comment moderation back on with word captcha for older posts. Hopefully the spammers will bugger off and I can take some of the settings back to normal quickly! Thank you and smooches! Em. x