Saturday, 30 April 2011

ASOS Curve Model & International Runway Sensation: Bree Warren Interviewed!

Bree Warren,Model,Plus-size
Bree Warren looking gorgeous in a photo by Natalie Wakeling.

You've quite recently become a full time model. When you made the leap, deciding to jump in and do modeling full time, what was it like to head to New York? 

New York has an incredible energy. At the time I really had no idea how it would pan out so it was amazing and terrifying at the same time. I think some people thought I was slightly mad to defer university before my last year, but I figured you can't wait for the perfect time as it might never happen.

Bree Warren,Model,Plus-size,City ChicWhy did you choose to live in London?

I lived in London a few years ago and I feel comfortable here so it was a good place to start. London has the best vibe, anything goes and it's so easy to get around.

Tell us what it's like to be signed to a model agency?

Signing with an agency is great but it's really just the first step. You then need to actually book work!

How do you get a runway show? Are the casting sessions we see on TV accurate at all!!?

It's actually fairly accurate. It does vary a little bit depending on the designer and the show but it is generally the same at the casting - you walk in heels, they look at your book, take video/polaroids and then you might walk again in bigger heels.

Tell us about how you felt walking for Elena Miro in Milan?

I loved it! Elena Miro sets such a high standard and I felt privileged to do the show. A year ago I would never have expected to be doing all this.

Bree Warren,Model,Plus-size,Elena Miro

And what did it feel like flying into Australia specifically to walk for City Chic?

Oh that was such a nice experience. I haven't worked for City Chic before and of course I love being able to go home so it all worked out perfectly. The Damn You Alexis collection is going to be big.

Bree Warren,Model,Plus-size,City Chic

What type of preparation is involved for these runway shows?

Preparation is pretty standard for all jobs in that you arrive with clean hair, face and nails. Call times can be anywhere up to five hours before the show so that does sometimes mean really early starts and a bit of waiting around. Prior to the day, you might have a fitting or rehearsal.

Bree Warren,Model,Plus-size,Elena Miro
Something I have always wondered  - is the energy before a runway show exciting or nerve racking?

Haha, it sounds odd but I think I like the pressure. There is this sort of exciting buzz in the air and it gets pretty hectic with everyone running around backstage.



And Bree, if I said to you, tomorrow, I need you on a runway in New York, or on a beach being photographed in Barbados, which would you choose?

Haha, my first thought was how long is the flight between the two?

If I really had to choose, I'm thinking Barbados. The weather would be lovely at this time of year.

You are a model for ASOS Curve. How does that feel and what is a normal day at ASOS HQ like?

I'm a big fan of Asos in general. Asos is the coolest kid on the block at the moment in terms of online shopping. Big operation, amazing clothes and a fun crew. Every day there are 6 studios with two models shooting in each and there is quite a lot to get through - it's a 9am to 5.30pm day usually.

Bree Warren,Model,Plus-size,ASOS Curve

Do you ever look up the ASOS Curve page and think, "Yeah - that's me..."

Haha, I would be lying if I said I haven't had a look but it's more like "what on earth was I doing there!" The novelty wears off pretty quickly.

Bree Warren,Model,Plus-size,Elena MiroI am definitely a plus size girl and while my focus on fashion is certainly on all things curvy, I do look at the more "straight size" fashion world too. What I have noticed is that models like yourself feel accessible but also seem to become very well known and loved very quickly. How do you find the attention you get because of what you do and the type of model you are?

I think a womanly figure is endearing and sexy but I try not to get caught up in all that because for every person who loves you there's another few that don't. It's out of my control! I think I have something positive to offer and I love what I do so it definitely makes everything a whole lot easier for me. At the same time though there is a lot of luck involved in modelling and who knows how long it will last. I'm just going with it!

A few quickies....

Bree Warren,Model,Plus-sizeHow do you look after your skin?

I'm low key with my skin regime. Not too much make up, always wash my face at night and I use a slightly excessive amount of moisturizer. I remember I never used to believe people who would tell me they can tell a lot about someone's lifestyle by looking at their skin but I have to say it's true! I notice a big difference when I have been super healthy. And if all else fails.....a swim at the beach should sort it out.

What is your personal fashion style?

Describing your own style is hard....I was asked this for the first time a few months ago and I kind of sat there with a total mind blank for a few minutes!

I like a bit of everything. I'm not a discriminatory shopper but I am loyal so if I like something I will buy it no matter where it comes from and I will probably go back there. At the moment I love clean lines, knitwear, fabrics that look expensive and I'm quite picky with prints. It's refreshing to see all the colour around at the moment as well.

I actually just asked one of my friends what she thought my style was and her response was 'classic with a grunge twist'. So I guess that's it then.

Bree Warren,Model,Plus-size,Boombands EmWhat is your fashion advice for any girls reading?

I think the biggest mistake is that we spend so much time pouring over other peoples style that we forget to plan our own. You need to work out what you love, what you loathe and most of all what suits your shape. For staple pieces a really good shopping rule I try to ask myself is 'Will this look dated in a few years time? If the answer is yes dont buy it'! That being said though, this rule does need to be broken occasionally....

What self indulgences (fashion or beauty) do you allow yourself?

Does Gossip Girl count?

AND FINALLY - If you could be in a modeling campaign with any international celebrity (model, actor, writer, director etc.). Who would you choose and what would the campaign look like and be about?

Oh this is tough! I am living in London so my dream job would be for an iconic British label like Vivienne Westwood, Burberry, Mulberry or even Agent Provocateur with someone like Daisy Lowe. She is such a babe!

Bree Warren,Model,Plus-size
Vivienne Westwood colours the world... 
This picture is entirely fabricated thanks to a little Boombands magic - Vivienne Westwood is one of my favourite designers, hence my fabulously amateur photoshop work... I might pop Bree into another ad next week. 
Maybe not though!


For more info on Bree - please check out this amazing and insightful interview at Plus Size Models Unite or to see some current GORGEOUSNESS - head to the Ladies of the Manor Editorial and see Bree, as photographed by Natalie Wakeling (pics also feature Laura Wells and Kate Hislop).


From a personal perspective, my lovely readers -  I LOVED this chance to interview Bree... it was easy, to be honest! Bree has a relaxed and completely accessible nature. I feel like quite the lucky blogger! Next month, I have an interview lined up with another amazing model - but for now I just want to say...

Thank you Bree Warren!


xxx.

Booking Bree:
Wilhelmina New York
Hughes Models London
Brigitte Models Germany
BGM Sydney

Some photos supplied by Bree Warren, or found online utilising google image search.

4 comments:

  1. AMAZING INTERVIEW! I loved it:)
    -Jaz
    http://www.fluffyfashionents.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so impressed! She seems like such a nice girl and I really like how healthy and beautiful she is.

    This was a great read and I am going to post it to my facebooj. I might need to write a disclaimer that this plus-size model is really just a model (plus by industry standards), but gosh, she is great. Really enjoyed this post and thanks for the link to the other sites featurig her.

    ReplyDelete
  3. She's so beautiful!! I love her figure and I think it's great to see models like her. Some people complain because she's not really a "plus size" but there are so many sizes, not being obese doesn't mean you're not a plus size..

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love her! She's so sexy. haha

    ReplyDelete

Hi there! Thank you for leaving your post. Due to some blatantly obvious spammers I have had to turned comment moderation back on with word captcha for older posts. Hopefully the spammers will bugger off and I can take some of the settings back to normal quickly! Thank you and smooches! Em. x