Friday, 11 March 2011

Looking Back: Alexander McQueen

:Alexander McQueen,Beth Ditto,Fashion,Plus-Size,Blog,Isabella Blow

Last night, Darcy and I watched the documentary MCQUEEN and I. It is a look at the life of Lee McQueen, focusing primarily on his relationship with Isabella Blow.

Alexander McQueen,Beth Ditto,Fashion,Plus-Size,Blog,Isabella BlowThe documentary itself was beautiful and sad, eerie and inspirational. I have never really known much about McQueen. I had never realised his humble beginings or his emotional vulnerability - not as a person (which was clearly evident in how he reacted to his mother's death), but as a designer. Many people in the documentary would discuss how he would often break down when criticised, or indeed - when his own pressure to design got to him.

The documentary had amazing footage from McQueen's underground shows as well as looked at the stark contrasts between McQueen's work with Givenchy and Gucci by comparison to the work he created under his own label.

Alexander McQueen,Beth Ditto,Fashion,Plus-Size,Blog,Isabella BlowI thought I would share some McQueen here on my page. The documentary has really affected me and I am both startled and impressed. I knew McQueen was an excellent designer, I just never really thought about the fact he was such a soulful person through his life - not just at the end when it all got too much... but through his whole life.

If you ever have a chance to see this documentary, it is well worth your time!

(PS. For all you Beth Ditto lovers, I have included some images of her at the bottom of this post, wearing gorgeous McQueen creations!)

Alexander McQueen,Beth Ditto,Fashion,Plus-Size,Blog,Isabella Blow

Alexander McQueen,Beth Ditto,Fashion,Plus-Size,Blog,Isabella Blow

Alexander McQueen,Beth Ditto,Fashion,Plus-Size,Blog,Isabella Blow

Alexander McQueen,Beth Ditto,Fashion,Plus-Size,Blog,Isabella Blow

Alexander McQueen,Beth Ditto,Fashion,Plus-Size,Blog,Isabella Blow

Alexander McQueen,Beth Ditto,Fashion,Plus-Size,Blog,Isabella Blow

Alexander McQueen,Beth Ditto,Fashion,Plus-Size,Blog,Isabella Blow

The theatricality of McQueen's shows was often startling and stunning - the next three images are particular favourites.

Alexander McQueen,Beth Ditto,Fashion,Plus-Size,Blog,Isabella Blow

Alexander McQueen,Beth Ditto,Fashion,Plus-Size,Blog,Isabella Blow

Alexander McQueen,Beth Ditto,Fashion,Plus-Size,Blog,Isabella Blow

As promised! Beth Ditto wearing Alexander McQueen.

Alexander McQueen,Beth Ditto,Fashion,Plus-Size,Blog,Isabella Blow

Alexander McQueen,Beth Ditto,Fashion,Plus-Size,Blog,Isabella Blow

Alexander McQueen,Beth Ditto,Fashion,Plus-Size,Blog,Isabella Blow



See the documentary, MCQUEEN AND I - it is AMAZING and a great reminder of the talent and life of Alexander McQueen.

xxx.

All photos sourced from online magazines via Google.

6 comments:

  1. I didn't know there was a documentary out. I'll have to see that! So many of his designs were spectacular, and his life story, although tragic, is fascinating.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I am the only girl in the world who does not like McQueen....hope you wont hate me!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love alexander Mcqueen, you have a nice blog, im following you, hope you can check out mine :) http://screwprincecharmingiwantyou.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love Alexander McQueen. I had no clue there was a documentary about him.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Excellent post! I really want to see that movie! McQueen was one of the best designers of our times! I miss him so much!

    XoXo
    Plami

    http://fashion-thrill.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm still waiting to get my mitts on the film and hopefully the time to watch it. Reading about him always chokes me up because he just seemed so sad and lost before he passed.

    ReplyDelete

Hi there! Thank you for leaving your post. Due to some blatantly obvious spammers I have had to turned comment moderation back on with word captcha for older posts. Hopefully the spammers will bugger off and I can take some of the settings back to normal quickly! Thank you and smooches! Em. x