Thursday, 13 January 2011

Christmas Markets...

Photobucket

My lovely darlings! It has been such a while. But - I'm back. I am prepping a lovely post for you on the fashion I saw in PARIS recently and have recently updated the City Chic blog... This post comes a little dated, but I still wanted to share. Two years ago, Darcy and I were in London strolling through the UK version of a Christmas Market... he promised to take me to the real thing, and this Christmas just gone - he truly did. Two days. Saltzburg and Munich... fabulous!



Photobucket

The Christmas Markets each year in Germany and Austria are absolutely famous. They are amazing and festive markets which occur through December in celebration of Christmas and feature great food, decoration, clothing and characters. These markets aren't so much about fashion, but shopping for Christmas.

Photobucket

Something that WAS absolutely fascinating to me was that because of how cold the weather is, things like meat and cheese aren't refrigerated. SERIOUSLY. They sit out in market stalls and just stay cold, because at a -1 degree, refrigeration wouldn't make much difference.

Photobucket


It is all about Christmas and while I don't have outfits to share in this post, I thought that a few of you might like to see the celebration of christmas - at some of the most outstanding Christmas markets in the world.

Photobucket

The thing to note about these places (I went to Saltzburg and Munich) that's fashion related is that you REALLY do need to rug up. It is cold, and not just weather cold, but wind-chilled (hence I bought the head-band for my freezing noggin!). While the market stalls don't sell much fashion (with the exception of accessories, including the delightful ear bags below), there is fashion that can be bought - Saltzburg and Munich are cities, afterall!

Photobucket

Whether clichéd or fashionable, both Munich and Saltzburg can cater to taste...

Photobucket

Photobucket

One thing that did really surprise me, that I had never seen before, was the very obvious presence of real fur coats. Whatever your stance is on Fur, be aware that in these two centres, many men and women have no qualms wearing long Fur coats. I didn't take (or want to take) any pictures of people in fur - but I did think this guy looked pretty cute (and afterall, he's supposed to wear fur)...

Photobucket

See you soon. xxx.

3 comments:

  1. I heard of there beeing christamsmarkets in London that claim to be typicall German, and I was a bit suprprised, cause for me this is so normal and connected to christmas I never thought that it's not a tradition in other countries.
    I's nice you liked it. And I guess as Munich is a very rich city it's not so suprisng seeing people wearing real fur. I think that in this more conservative areas in Germany people are still totaly into it...beeing rich & wearing fur when its cold.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish i had the chance to go to these darling christmas markets, they looked so fun and it's like a visual feast!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have missed you so much! You look wonderful! <3

    ReplyDelete

Hi there! Thank you for leaving your post. Due to some blatantly obvious spammers I have had to turned comment moderation back on with word captcha for older posts. Hopefully the spammers will bugger off and I can take some of the settings back to normal quickly! Thank you and smooches! Em. x