Wednesday, 19 May 2010

Ruby Belle to the Max(i)!

boombands,ruby belle,evans,dresses,plus-size,review

Heading into Evans today for a May round-up of the Ruby Belle dresses - it was exciting to see a pretty display and everything available to try. And try, I did...


I am starting with the below image so you can get a fair idea of the shape of the dress. I rocked my usual size 20 in all these styles. The sleeveless flamingo dress is the same shape.

boombands,ruby belle,evans,dresses,plus-size,review

This was my favourite dress when the Ruby Belle collection came online. I like the colour and the pattern very much. The dresses are all lined and both the sleeveless dresses have gentle straps that feel delicate but are sturdy enough! I love that this dress cinches in a bit before the waist pleats give the dress a 1950s feel... I'm not a fan of the waist position though. I know we are all different shapes, but I like MORE of an empire line than this - that being said, because almost all the Ruby Belle dresses have a lower waist than I like, you will see me wear them plain and then also with belts. I rock a black cardi too... I know - stylish!

boombands,ruby belle,evans,dresses,plus-size,review



boombands,ruby belle,evans,dresses,plus-size,review

Okay, so white never looks very good on me due to my skin tone, that being said, I much prefer this dress (on me) with the cardigan forward and the belt involved. I NEED that strong definition.


boombands,ruby belle,evans,dresses,plus-size,review

I truly feel that this is a bit of a weird cut on my body, but it works well with the belt. That being said, I have a chest BUILT to fill tops, so the fact the top of this dress has a little extra room in it, and it IS my perfect size - is a little strange. The nicest feature of this dress, not mentioned on the Evans site, is the TULLE layer. YUP. The dress is lined, then has a layer of light tulle, then the dress flows over that. With the pleats and tulle, the vintage style girls should LOVE this.


boombands,ruby belle,evans,dresses,plus-size,review

This is the same style as the last dress - but heck, I rock red HEAPS better than white! x.

boombands,ruby belle,evans,dresses,plus-size,review


boombands,ruby belle,evans,dresses,plus-size,review

Love. This was one I actually felt NO affinity for on the web, but LOVED wearing. The top half is jersey knit, it has a waist in the right position for me and back-ties. I also think this is so simple and gorgeous. The shape is VERY curve hugging and a much tighter, form loving fit than the other styles:

boombands,ruby belle,evans,dresses,plus-size,review

MAXI DRESSES

After Ruby Belle, I then moved on to Maxis - I tried two to investigate length, I know people have been wondering how they might wear maxis as "shorter" femmes... I am 5'5" and really think that I would need to wear both these dresses with a heel:


boombands,ruby belle,evans,dresses,plus-size,review

These are my first Maxi Dresses ever. This one is a little too flowy for me, and I might find it hard to walk up stairs - but still, this test for length resulted in my trying something very new!



boombands,ruby belle,evans,dresses,plus-size,review

I really like this. It is a little better for my shape because it is a much more fitted style than the Rainbow Maxi. If I ever decide to flex my Maxi-Mojo, this is a definite contender for purchase!
------------------------------------

I hope these shots and mini-reviews are helpful. I know a few international bloggers and readers were keen for this round-up, so I hope this helps you with your purchases. All in all the Ruby Belle dresses are pretty lovely - they are made with care and feel nice on... I think the key will be shape. I was certain the two sleeveless dresses in plaid and flamingo would be the best on my body, but really - the sailboats win the day.

Smooch. Em. x.


*Please note that all images and text in this post belong to and are the copyright of the author.

24 comments:

  1. Awesome review! I saw the dresses online and loved them, but I'm always hesitant about ordering if I haven't tried something on.
    Good to know about the fit. The sailboat dress and the floral maxi look great on you.
    I loved the Flamingo dress, but think the fit would probably be pretty similar on me.

    http://thepaleandpallorprincess.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have actually convinced me regarding the Ruby Belle range. I really wasn't sure about the flow of these garments or how they would accommodate ample busts - but hats off you rocked the lot.
    I do think you look great in the Flamingo and the Sail Boat dresses. I really love the Flamingo one!!
    Interesting you feel you need a belt. I think without still defines you super well, hun!
    As for the maxi - I like the first one - the colours are awesome!!
    Maxi's are always tricky. I know in my fits we have huge debates on lengths because they often do flow a little too long!
    Thanks for the great round-up Em!!!
    V x

    ReplyDelete
  3. the more i see of the sailboat dress, the more i want it! the second flamingo one looks awesome on you. and the floral maxi one!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have sold me on the plaid flamingo and the sail boat dress! Love them on you, i think the ones with sleeves are just weird, they didnt look quite right on The Pocket Rocket either. Thanks for these roundups so helpful for those of us in the states!
    Xoxo
    Stiletto

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the retro style dresses. Its hard for me to fit them though for me. I definatly have no waist LOL and that style usually has a defined waiste right where I start getting thicker. I usually have to try on a dozen of that style to find one that fits right and even then it usually only fits with help of a shaper underneath. Wish I could pull it off though. Its a great look. They kinda look like they might hit right on me now that I look at it on you... but Im still iffy... Ive owned a simular style before and it looked good on me but nearly bust at the seam in the upper rib cage.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is such a good and honest review! I think with all of the first few dresses, they all looked better with a belt! Although, I love the sailor dress way more than any others!!

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. These look wonderful on you! I came across your blog by trying to find what the dresses looked like on actual people.

    Just curious though, since I live in the U.S. and am not sure how the dress would be on me as far as length goes, how tall are you (even better if you know what your pant inseam is) and where does the dress hit you on the leg? I'm uncomfortable with dresses hitting me more than say three inches above the knee and it would be helpful to know how the length is, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you so much for the positive comments everyone! I am so pleased that this is helpful...

    A couple of specifics...

    Vanessa - I don't now what it is, but I find it is more the waist than real definition that makes me like them with a belt... I also read a lot of people on twitter musing about the waist height so thought it might be a good indicator for those girls too... They are great fits (particularly the sleeveless). Thanks for the positive comments on the Maxis too - so strange to finally try them!

    TigeressKitten - The sleeveless dresses have elastic in the back with more give than the other dresses... I found them okay, looseish fits in the front, so maybe they could be worth a look. The sailboat dress has lots of stretch in the jersey top half, but almost none at waist level.

    Cynthia - I am 5'5" and the dresses hit me just covering the knee... If I sat down, I am sure my kneecaps would be exposed, but these dresses didn't feel too short to wear. If I find a tape measure at home (I have one somewhere), I will post you my inseam. x.I am so glad you found the blog! x.

    ReplyDelete
  9. OK. Now I can say I have to take a look at this range because I really didn't really noticed it on the website. I like what I see on you and will try not to pick everything. Thank you for this review!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my god! I want the flamingo dress and then sail boats!!!!! So cute and all of these outfits are amazing on you darling.

    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  11. OMG! Love those dresses damit I want them. I was going to say the first dress looked the best but then I scrolled down and saw the flamingo dress and sail boat dresses. Im feeling very nautical at the moment so maybe I'd choose the sail boat dress. Its a lovely fit. Did you get any?

    ReplyDelete
  12. All gorgeous dresses, but you REALLY rock the flamingo and the red floral. Adorbz!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I didn't like the check one when I saw it on the site, but on you it's just stunning! And you're right, you do look amazing in red!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I just ordered the Flamingo and the Sailboat thanks to your site, I needed a quirky dress for a wedding and one of those will hopefully do.

    I used this code: EVSM151 to get 20% off.

    ReplyDelete
  15. You make me want EVERYTHING... i hope you bought it all... cause you look great in everything... really like the raindow maxi on you!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. My love for that boat dress is still going strong, you look amazing in it too. Love these posts! :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Aw, you guys are awesome. I am on a spending hiatus at the moment - but think maybe I should look at the sailboats again.

    I am also really glad that so many of you found this so helpful. It was a lot of fun. NOW - bring on Beth Ditto! x.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks so much for the review! I really wanted to try these on but my local store doesn't have them, and I'm nervous about buying online without knowing what the fit is like. This is really helpful!

    Size wise, would you say they're pretty much standard Evans sizes or are they a little bigger/smaller? I float between a 20 or 22 depending on the fit and am trying to decide which size to order.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Vicki -

    I am usually a size 20 in the Evans Tea Dresses and as you can see from these and the Maxis - this was the right size for me in Ruby Belle. The only thing to be mindful of is that the Sailor Dress has no zip and VERY little give in the waistline so it looks stunning but is a bit hard to get on.

    Smooch - Em. x.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thank you!! I love the Tea dresses so that's just the right frame of reference for me.

    I think I'm going to go for the Sailor Dress - I didn't much like it online but you look so good in it that I'll give it a try! Thanks again. :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Great Review. TUELL!? Wooooow now I am even more excited. I ordere the flamingo one with sleeves and tuell would be a super nice extra that I didn't expected! I hope that they will fit me. :D

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love the plaid one with the belt and cardi! The colors in this collection are brighter then I would normally wear but the retro vibe is super cool.

    ReplyDelete
  23. i love the ruby check dress and the sailboat dress!!! wish i could have them this summer :/ and yes the taupe is very lovely but my heart is just set on a regular grey lolz... thank you for looking up that rimmel grey! hopefully it'll be in stores because i really don't like to do very much online shopping lolz :| yeah ima weirdo i know hahaha

    - Iza

    ReplyDelete
  24. You just convinced me about the Floral Print Maxi Dress. It looks lovely on you. :)

    ReplyDelete

Hi there! Thank you for leaving your post. Due to some blatantly obvious spammers I have had to turned comment moderation back on with word captcha for older posts. Hopefully the spammers will bugger off and I can take some of the settings back to normal quickly! Thank you and smooches! Em. x